Monday, July 22, 2013

Hello Fat!!

PB&C
So here I am in week 2 of quitting sugar. A quick update on how week 1 went:
#1 I highly recommend camping in a remote place during week 1. We wanted to see the Puffins before they migrate and so headed to West Wales for a long weekend. I am still sometimes baffled by how small villages can be in Britain, before moving here I thought Tucson was a small town! We camped at West Hook Farm in Marloes. Google that, it is pretty much the end of the earth. Marloes is so small there was a pub, a village shop that was only open when we left Monday morning, and a Cafe that was never open. As a result I was restricted to eating what I had brought with me, so there were no impulse sugar purchases. Epic!
#2 Popcorn, iced tea, iced coffee, and wine have saved me when I have wanted a sugary snack or drink. Note that wine is limited to one glass per day and I have actually only had about 2 glasses a week.

This week I am still allowed to eat some sugar, but am decreasing it. I have mostly cut it out except for the odd bit of salsa (has added sugar, egads!!) and some sugar free jello. The cool thing about week 2 is that I am supposed to be eating fat. How amazing is that? To be truthful I had already started uping my fat last week since nuts are the one thing that can be gotten nearly anywhere that are sugar free. So this week I have added avocado, olive oil, cheese, more nuts, and all things coconut to my diet (coconut cream where have you been all my life??). I do draw the line at butter, I am simply not a huge fan of the taste. I even had chips for dinner last night (I am pretty sure this is not really the best idea, but had a stomach ache and it was the only thing that sounded good). I have had to get a little creative when I am out of the house all day because as much as I love nuts, I can subsist entirely on them. I have discovered Peanut Butter and Coconut sandwiches. Since I cannot put honey, jam, banana, etc in my sandwich I decided to try adding dessicated coconut. It is pretty darn good, although I have to be careful not to go overboard since I have also been eating coconut cream as well. Coconut is the one sweet-ish thing I can have so I don't want to end up feeling sick of it.

PS. I wrote the beginning of this post several days ago, but never finished it so I am actually at the beginning of week 3 and can say that I have lost about 5 lbs despite eating a lot of fat and not restricting my intake of food (aside from sugar) at all. That said, my goal is not weight loss but to be a slave of the sugar monster no more. A little weight loss is just an added bonus :-)
My new staples

                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment