Saturday, September 24, 2011

Driving backwards around corners

I cannot believe that I have been living outside of "my" country for a year! Since I have been here for over a year, I can no longer drive on my California Driver's License. Which sucks. I do realize that I could have pursued my British License a few months ago and avoided this lag time between licenses, but I had a REALLY busy summer (working, not a bunch of holidays). To make the situation even more fantastic, I have to take the full exam as if I were 17. If I had a license from Zimbabwe, I could just exchange it for a British one. Apparently Zimbabwe has superior drivers to the US. It may actually be easier to go to Africa, get a license, then exchange it, than to take the test here. Only 47% of people pass the test on their first try. It costs £93 to set the exam, £30 for the books to study for the exam (the dmv does not provide any free guides like they do in the US), and £46 per 2 hour lesson. On average people who pass the driver's test have 47 hours of tuition. Who can afford that??? When I booked my lesson they tried to talk me into 10-15 hours, saying that experienced drivers have often formed bad habits. I am hoping to do it in no more than 6 hours. You have to be able to reverse around a corner both to the left and to the right. Because that is a maneuvered I have used NEVER in my 12 years of driving, not even in San Francisco. I feel like reversing around corners should be discouraged. I have to learn the difference between a zebra crossing, pelican crossing, puffin crossing, equestrian crossing (the only type actually for an animal), toucan crossing, and staggered pelican or puffin crossing. The Official Highway Code states that the best way to combat tiredness when driving is to have two cups of caffeinated coffee and take a 15 minute nap, I am hoping NOT in that order....
At least I have plenty of reading material for the time being!

1 comment:

  1. Dang. If their drivers are superior to ours, that's why! I didn't even have to parallel park when I took my test.

    ReplyDelete