Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas: winter's antidepressant

I have formed the hypothesis that Christmas is very popular in northern parts of the world as it makes the cold, dark, miserable winter days less miserable. Since there is no holiday demarcation of Thanksgiving here, it seems that everything went full throttle Christmas the day after Halloween.
While my stateside friends are bemoaning how early Macy's is decorating, and Christmas music already on the radio, here Christmas is fully embraced. Already the are counting down the weeks until Christmas, yesterday I saw a B&B advertising that if you have already finished your shopping come have a weekend away. Finished??? I thought I was not supposed to start until after Thanksgiving. Well I did buy Talisker a present, but it was the last one and it was on sale.
The Christmas market opened on November 12th and the Christmas lights are already up and on at all the shopping centers in town. They have special Christmas stores that have opened (like the Halloween store, complete with sexy Santa costumes) and the restaurants have been advertising since Sept to book your Christmas lunches (I have not figured out if this is actually on Christmas, or if they just eat special meals out around Christmas).
The one upside to no one else celebrating Thanksgiving is that I do not have to worry about doing my shopping last minute. The grocery store won't be crowded, or out of the things I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment