Sunday, October 17, 2010

One Month

As of yesterday I have been living in the UK one month - although it seems unfair to count that first day since almost all of it was spent at the airport and the pet reception centre and the rest of it was a caffeine driven sleepless haze.
At the time, I was not aware that yesterday was my one month Brit anniversary, but I went shopping and came home with two pairs of ankle boots and drinking Ribena. At least I did not purchase any leggings, although I did purchase a pair of wooly tights to wear with skirts in the winter.....or tomorrow.
I have discovered that Brits do not say "excuse me", they just bump into you as they walk past and do not even finish with a, "sorry" or "oops". At least in the US we say "excuse me" even if our tone of voice conveys, "get the fuck out of my way".
Today I walked out of my flat and had a strange feeling. It was pleasant, but I could not put my finger on what it was that made the day so nice. After 15 minutes I realized that it was EXTREMELY quiet outside. I had not realized how noisy San Francisco was until just then.
I am starting to get used to living here, but sometimes I get a jolt when I realize that I am not going home. The other day when I could not find black beans in the grocery store I thought I will have to stock up next time I go to Trader Joe's. Oh wait.....
We have barlotti beans, haricot beans, butter beans, broad beans, but it is a challenge to find black and pinto beans. Wow, I have just googled broad beans and found that they are the same as fava beans! That is excruciatingly fabulous!
Now if only I can just get this Pilates thing sorted....

No comments:

Post a Comment